PMM looks at Irwin Tools’ VISE-GRIP locking pliers. The company claims that these tools are chosen by trade professionals and passed on to the next generation.
Irwin VISE-GRIP locking pliers are constructed from high-grade, heattreated alloy steel, offering maximum toughness and durability, says the company. The hardened teeth are designed to grip from any angle. The newest addition to the range includes the IRWIN VISE-GRIP Fast-release Curved Jaw, which is available in two core models: fast release, with a onehanded, triggerless release featuring antipinch, non-slip ProTouch grips; and original, with a classic trigger release. Here are Irwin’s top 10 benefits and uses of the fast-release curved jaw locking pliers:
1. The product boasts a curved jaw, which is great for securely gripping and torqueing multiple surface shapes, including round pipes, square, or hex bolts.
2. It provides maximum torque without requiring heavy input pressure. The jaw mechanism naturally grips tighter as more torque is applied to the tool, resulting in more clamping power.
3. The hex key adjusting screw tightens to draw material closer together and loosens to provide a controlled release.
4. ProTouch grip – these moulded handles are anti-pinch and non-slip, providing comfort, control and less hand fatigue.
5. The self-energising lower jaw mechanism provides three times more gripping power. The pivot allows the jaw to align onto the workpiece, for maximum grip without slipping or stripping.
6. A fast release handle allows for a onehanded, triggerless release with no pinch points, making it two times easier to open than traditional locking pliers.
7. The curved jaw locking plier is ideal for multiple jobs, including wire cutting, pulling, prying, and gripping.
8. The tool is ideal for extreme four-point pressure on frozen nuts and bolts, making adjustments during vehicle alignments, tightening pipes on radiators, changing out stabiliser links, and much more.
9. Works brilliantly in wet and greasy environments.
10. Ideal for manoeuvring in tight spaces where a worker cannot easily get two hands on a tool.
The VISE-GRIP fast-release curved jaw is available in 125, 175 and 250mm, whilst the VISE-GRIP fast-release curved jaw with wire cutter is available in 100, 125, 175 and 250mm.